"I became interested in this because as I’ve reflected on my past educational experiences, I realized that my life could have turned out so much differently if I had stayed at my neighborhood high school at home."

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Wesleyan

When I got into Wesleyan, it wasn't as exciting as I expected it to be. I wanted to yell and shout that I got in to all my friends and family back home, but no one knew what Wesleyan was or it's eliteness. Most people at home only know about the Ivy League schools and if you didn't get into one, you were just going to another regular school. Although I'm a first generation, college was never important to my parents. I've always been the one to push and challenge myself academically. Now that I'm at Wesleyan I'm able to reflect on my past educational experiences and see how certain decisions changed the outcome of my life. If any one of these steps didn't happen I could've been in Chicago, with a teen pregnancy, on foodstamps, like many of my old friends. It's sad to see how schooling can change the course of your life. I believe that a lot of youth in Chicago that have incredible potential are stuck in a cycle of complacency with life because the schools systems on the south side of Chicago aren't doing their jobs at helping kids become successful. A lot of kids don't know what success is for people who look like them because everywhere they turn, everyone's struggling. The only way we are going to break the cycle is by addressing all the issues in the school systems. Lack of funding, violence, and the lack of resources are only a few things that need to change before the lives of Chicago black youth does.

1 comment:

  1. This is -- or was -- a VERY interesting blog. I am sure a lot of other people would like to have read it -- or read it now -- if they only knew about it. I don't know if the author reads these comments, but if she does, may I urge her to take up blogging again. I suspect that by now she has finished college, and is either in graduate school, or starting her career. In either case, if she started blogging again, I could promise --well, not 'promise' -- to get her some readers. I could promise to try like the devil to get her some, and I'll bet I could.

    And ... it's not just an interesting blog. Given the state of America today, it's an important one, for this reason: we need to understand each other. The news carries plenty of reports of violence in South Chicago, and elsewhere. This blog can show us another side. Please consider starting up again!

    ReplyDelete

The Windy City

The Windy City
Protestors in Chicago