"I became interested in this because as I’ve reflected on my past educational experiences, I realized that my life could have turned out so much differently if I had stayed at my neighborhood high school at home."

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

ISAT

I remember being a student at Bright and being told that my only goal was to at least meet the standards on the ISAT test. The the ISAT (Illinois Standards Achievement Test) was an assessment given to all students in Illinois. Starting in 3rd grade, students are tested on what the state thinks the child should know by that point in their academic careers. Students are tested on reading and math skills 3rd-8th grade then additionally tested in science in 4th and 7th. The scoring is separated into 4 categories: Exceeds the standards, meets the standards, below the standards, and academic warning. My teachers always stressed how important meeting the standards were because if you didn't, you'd be forced to attend summer school and with the possibly of repeating the grade. I remember it being a miracle if someone at the Bright exceeded the standards in any subject. When I started taking the ISAT test, I was one of the few students who exceeded the standards in all the ISAT subjects. To encourage students further, my school offered $50 bonds to students who exceeded the standards in the ISAT. Even with the new incentive, the overall scores of the school did not improve. Looking back now, I think the problem roots from the instability of schools on the south side of Chicago in predominately POC neighborhoods. Bright was in one of the rough neighborhoods in Chicago, right across the streets from "the projects" (low income housing). I believe that because of the lack of after school programs due to the budget cuts of public schools in Chicago, students are forced to the streets. At a very young age, it would be safe to say that one could be influenced by many dangerous outside sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Windy City

The Windy City
Protestors in Chicago