"I became interested in this because as I’ve reflected on my past educational experiences, I realized that my life could have turned out so much differently if I had stayed at my neighborhood high school at home."

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Squash

Squash changed my life. The first time I was introduced to squash was from my 6th grade friend Nubia. Nubia convinced me to join her at this after school program she attended called "MetroSquash". MetroSquash was a non-profit organization whose main goal was to bring squash, a typically white preppy sport, to low income communities. There were programs like this all over the country: Detroit, New York, New Haven, and San Diego just to name a few.  This non-profit provides free squash rackets, shoes, transportation, plane tickets, tournament fees, and more! Nubia told me that MetroSquash was half academics and half squash. While half the group went to the courts to play, the other half stayed and did homework, got tutoring, etc. This was the first time that I was in an environment where my grades mattered. MetroSquash always wanted midterm grades and report cards. You had to maintain a C- average in order to be eligible to go to tournaments. I remember telling Nubia "fine, if I go I'm only gonna do my homework. Nobody's trynna play no squash." About a week passed of me going to Metrosquash and doing my homework until Nubia finished with practice. That's when my first coach, Max, approached me and said "You can't just sit here and do you're homework. You have to at least try to get on court". The next day I did, and the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Windy City

The Windy City
Protestors in Chicago