"I became interested in this because as I’ve reflected on my past educational experiences, I realized that my life could have turned out so much differently if I had stayed at my neighborhood high school at home."

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Bay

After my fourth grade year at Bright, my mom announced that she would be taking my brother and I with her to Tampa, FL to live with her new boyfriend. I remember my brother and I being devastated to leave Chicago, jealous that my other siblings got to stay, and nervous to start my life somewhere new. The first thing that I noticed when I arrived at my new home was that it was in a gated community filled with townhouses. I saw so much diversity and was excited to live a better lifestyle. I loved that I was in a community with so many people who looked like me. My most memorable experience of Florida was the education I got there. I went to an elementary school called Clark Academy which ran kindergarten-5th grade, while my brother attended Benito Middle School, which ran 6th-8th grade. Since I was in 5th grade in and he was two grades above me, we always attended school together until this point. My first day at Clark was the first time I saw so many white people. I was shocked, amazed, curious, and angry, all at the same time. I remember not knowing how to act and trying to replicate the way I heard white people talked on TV. Clark had things that just astounded me. A library, clean bathrooms, a health center, track team, you name it! I didn't know how far behind I was in the classroom until I got to  Clark. To say I struggled at the beginning was an understatement. That was the first time I realized how privileged kids were in some schools while others were struggling. I didn't make the connection between education and race until much later in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Windy City

The Windy City
Protestors in Chicago