"I became interested in this because as I’ve reflected on my past educational experiences, I realized that my life could have turned out so much differently if I had stayed at my neighborhood high school at home."

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Beginning

My name is Sherly Francois and I was born and raised on the southside of Chicago. I was the youngest of 5 in a low income family, so I expected to follow the same path as my siblings. As a kid I thought that we all were going to go to the same schools, have the same teachers, and go through the same educational experiences; which happened for a while. I remember starting kindergarten at Kozminski on 51st, I lived right across the street from the school at the time. Back then Kozminski seemed normal to me. The fact that the swings were always broken, security guards always roamed the hallways, the school was made up of 97% black people, and kids fought everyday afterschool with our neighboring rival school was just the way school worked. Even in kindergarten, I noticed that our school never had smart boards or computers, I knew which streets to avoid walking down, and I knew why I wan't allowed to go play outside after school was over. I didn't learn until later on in life that Kozminski was one of the most neglected/under appreciated schools that I'd ever attend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Windy City

The Windy City
Protestors in Chicago